By Grant Nicholas of Webworx
With the rapid improvements, and the reliance in technology for day to day tasks in recent years, Digital Security has never been more important. Most people still do not understand the risks, until they are the victim of a cyber-attack.
On a daily basis we are dealing with clients who have had their emails hacked into, usernames and passwords for any number of technologies stolen, websites defaced and used for malicious scams, identity theft and even bank accounts cleaned out.
Here are some tips to try and protect yourself in today’s digital world.
- Use different, complex passwords for each website you sign up to and technology you use. Gone are the days of using an easy to remember single password for everything you do. We suggest at least 8 characters, using a combination of lower case, upper case, numbers and special characters.
- Backup! I cannot stress how important backing up your data regularly is. In the case of business you should be backing your important data up at least daily. With modern viruses, a single accidental mouse click on the wrong email attachment by an employee could cripple your business.
- Ensure you have up to date Anti-Virus software, and Anti-Malware software on all of your computers, and run regular scans to ensure there is no malicious software in the background.
- Do not trust anyone that randomly calls you and says “you have a virus” and asks for access to your computer. This is a scam!
- Be careful what you click on. Just because it comes from a friend, doesn’t mean it is safe.
For more information about digital security and how Webworx can assist your business, please visit: www.webworx.com.au or call 1300 55 4678.
ETC BusinessLeaders presents Robert de Castella
Here’s your opportunity to network at Coffs Harbour’s premier B2B networking event and gain insights into what makes a winning business culture.
Proudly presented by ANZ Bank this lunch presentation by World Champion marathon runner and Managing Director of SmartStart Robert de Castella (Deeks) is not one to be missed.
14 July, Novotel Pacific Bay Resort, 12pm to 2pm. For more details and to reserve your seat visit www.etcltd.com.au or call 66485400.