Whether you want to relocate an existing business or start something new, there are a number of things you can do to make your move simple and effective.
Naturopath Anna Colbert of Samana Natural Health relocated to Port Macquarie from Sydney in April 2014. Before moving to the area Ms Colbert undertook some market research to help prepare.
“I looked through the Port Macquarie Hastings Council website to investigate the demographics and projected growth for the region,” said Ms Colbert.
“I also researched any local competitors to see if my business idea was viable for the area.”
Six months later, Ms Colbert secured a place in ETC’s New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) Program that assisted her with developing her new business. Samana Natural Health now operates from an allied health clinic.
“The NEIS Program has given me a lot of skills. My ETC mentor Aden Harris has been helping me to promote my business and set up a Facebook page,” said Ms Colbert.
“Relocating to a regional area can be difficult but Anna has worked hard to establish herself and her business here,” comments Mr Harris.
Anna Colbert is currently practising at Vibrance Mind and Body Clinic in Watonga Street, Lighthouse Beach.
Ms Colbert shares her tips for relocation:
- Think about what you need from the region you choose – hospitals, schools and community support.
- Consider your employment needs and how they can be met.
- Visit before you decide – there’s no substitute for spending time in an area. Get to know some of the locals and find out what’s good and not so good.
- Rent first if you’re not sure where you want to live in the region. Allow time to get to know an area without committing to a major financial decision such as buying a house.
- Tap into the community through school, work, sports clubs and service clubs. There are people and organisations ready to assist you and make you welcome.
If you’ve recently relocated your business and would like some business advice, or if you want to start or grow your existing business, contact ETC today on 1800 007 400.