Small business owners are generally the core of their own businesses, especially in the early years. Business owners will often forego holidays out of fear of losing clients or falling behind the competition.
However experts have said that holidays prevent burnout, improve productivity, and reduce illnesses. The healthier and happier you are, the more your business will benefit.
So if your business is shutting down, there are a number of factors to consider when it comes to Christmas closures. You need to ensure that:
- Your staff salaries will be paid during this period, or prior to – make sure you have considered annual leave loading requirements if applicable
- Money has been set aside to cover loss of income during this time
- All office equipment is turned off to conserve power usage – shut down the computers (don’t just log off), switch off everything at the power point
- Your emails have an “out of office” message set – this will provide an automatic response to anyone who emails you, advising them of your absence
- An appropriate voicemail on your phone is recorded – this should outline when your business reopens and how to contact you urgently
- Data on your computer or servers is backed up before the shutdown period
- You have advised your clients, suppliers and contractors regarding your closing period
ETC can provide your business with guidance to ensure a smooth Christmas closure. Speak to your local Small Biz Consultant today on 1800 007 400.