The benefits of work experience
Young people are more likely to be successful in securing a job if they have done some work experience. If you are not sure about the work/career you want, work experience is a perfect way to sample all the options you have. It’s a way of exploring different jobs without actually committing to anything and gives you a great insight into what it’s like to work in a particular industry.
Other benefits of work experience include:
- Shows employers that you are keen, interested and reliable!
- It gently introduces you to the world of work and gives you an idea of the skills you might need to thrive in the workplace.
- Helps you identify your own skills and perhaps even highlight the areas that you might want to work on (providing an insight into your strengths and weaknesses)
- It will help build your contacts – who may advise you of future job opportunities or recommend you to another company.
- Work experience also gives you something to put on your resume and the employer may even be a positive referee for you.
- You might impress the employer so much that you will be offered a job!!
Speak to your Youth Advisor today about your interest in undertaking work experience.